Many people fear going to the dentist because of “the drill.” However, with advances in modern dentistry, your visit can be drill-free, leaving you with a beautiful, healthy smile and a stress-free dental experience.
Spraying Away Decay
Air abrasion is a minimally invasive technique used by dentists to remove tooth decay safely and quickly. During air abrasion, an instrument that works like a tiny sandblaster emits a fine stream of particles aimed at the decayed portion of the tooth.
These particles are made of silica, aluminum oxide, or a baking soda mixture. Small particles of decay on the tooth surface are gently and efficiently removed as the stream of particles strikes them.
We remove the particles of decay with a simple rinse and suction. Best of all, for many procedures that use air abrasion, there is no need for anesthetic, so you’ll be able to have a needle-free experience too.
Dental air abrasion can be used in many treatments instead of a dental drill, including:
- Preparing a cavity for a filling
- Preparing a tooth for bonding or sealants
- Removing old composite restorations
- Removing plaque and tooth decay
- Removing superficial tooth stains and discolorations
The Advantages of Air Abrasion
- Generates no heat, sound, pressure, or vibration
- Reduces the need for anesthesia, particularly if the cavity is shallow
- Leaves much more of the healthy tooth tissue behind
- Reduces the risk of micro-fracturing and chipping of the tooth
- Allows us to treat multiple sites in your mouth during a single visit
Dental air abrasion is a simple, quick, and effective alternative to the traditional drill. It provides many benefits and reduces anxieties many people associate with a trip to the dentist. Ask us at your next appointment if air abrasion is right for you!