CEREC® Single-Visit Crowns in Kirkwood
What is CEREC?
Chairside Economical Restorations of Esthetic Ceramic — CEREC for short — is a state-of-the-art method for creating tooth restorations. CEREC uses computer-assisted design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) to offer single-day restorations for patients.
This new technology has revolutionized ceramic restorations, such as crowns and veneers, so there is no longer a waiting between preparing the restoration and finally receiving the finished product.
One visit: saves time, no metal, all ceramic
Unlike traditional crowns, CEREC crowns are completed in one visit. No impressions, no temporary crown. This crown is milled by a computer to fit your tooth precisely, thus eliminating the second appointment and the temporary crown. You leave the same day with your new crown. The precision of the digital images provides more accuracy of fit with minimal adjustments.
The CEREC Process
CEREC uses CAD-CAM technology to design and mill custom restorations during one visit to our Kirkwood dental office. So how does this process work?
Exam and Preparation
Before you get started, Dr. Thomure will determine whether CEREC is right for you. Depending on how much healthy tooth structure you have, you may need a simple filling or a crown. After reviewing your options, Dr. Thomure will begin the process by administering anesthetic and preparing your tooth for restoration by removing decay and weakened tooth tissue.
In order to make the desired restoration, a three-dimensional image of the tooth that needs to be restored must be created from a digital camera scan of the tooth. This three-dimensional image will be used to create the restoration without the need to take a messy impression. This means no horrible-tasting impression material to make you gag. The computer and CEREC 3D software then convert the digital image into a three-dimensional virtual model of the prepared tooth.
A milling machine is used to create the custom restoration needed for the tooth. Based on the original color of your tooth, Dr. Thomure is able to select the correct color of ceramic block and, in a few minutes, the milling device is able to create the restoration needed.
Placing the Restoration
After the restoration is made, it is ready to be tried on to ensure that you get proper fit and bite. When it is ready, the restoration is polished and bonded into place. Therefore, no temporary restoration is needed and no return trip is necessary, so it saves you time and money.
The CEREC Advantage
- Time: CEREC crowns are made in one visit, saving you considerable time away from your job and family.
- Comfort: With CEREC, there is no need for a temporary crown, eliminating significant potential discomfort.
- Aesthetics: The strong, tooth-colored ceramic materials of CEREC restore your teeth to their natural strength, beauty, and function, and closely match the composition of your natural tooth structure.
- Strength: Milled ceramic is stronger than the traditional method of layering and pressing, so your smile will stay beautiful for years!
- Fillings: CEREC material and technology can also be used for fillings. Since these fillings are made out of porcelain, they are more durable than white composite fillings.
CEREC single-visit crowns at Kirkwood Station Dental can give you back your smile! Schedule an appointment to learn more!